HarrisMartin's Talcum Powder Ovarian Cancer Litigation Conference AgendaPrint Agenda
Day 1, Wednesday, April 25, 2018
7:30 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.
Registration and Continental Breakfast
8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
Welcome and Litigation Overview
Co-Chair Ted G. Meadows, Beasley, Allen, Crow, Methvin, Portis & Miles, P.C., Montgomery, AL
9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
The Liability Cases Against the Johnson & Johnson Defendants and Imerys Talc
• The Positions Taken by Parties at Recent Trials
• Key Documents Used by the Parties in Recent Trials
Co-Chair R. Allen Smith Jr., The Smith Law Firm, PLLC, Ridgeland, MS
10:00 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
Refreshment Break is Sponsored by Baker Realtime Worldwide Court Reporting & Video.
10:15 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
General Causation – Epidemiology, Toxicology, Cell Biology and the Recent Trial Tactics
• The Latest on How Plaintiffs Prove General Causation
• The Latest on How Defendants Dispute General Causation
Margaret M. Thompson, M.D., JD, MPAFF, Beasley, Allen, Crow, Methvin, Portis & Miles, P.C., Montgomery, AL
11:00 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.
Specific Causation – Pathology, Gynecologic Oncology, Epidemiology and Recent Trial Tactics
• The Building Blocks of a Typical Plaintiff’s Case
• The Latest on How Defendants are Combating Specific Causation
Cynthia L. Garber, Robinson Calcagnie, Inc., Newport Beach, CA
11:45 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
California Update – Analysis of the Echeverria Pre-Trial, Trial, Post-Trial Orders and Appeals
• What It Takes to File and Maintain a Case in California
Co-Chair Mark P. Robinson Jr., Robinson Calcagnie, Inc., Newport Beach, CA
Helen Zukin, Kiesel Law LLP, Beverly Hills, CA
12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.
1:30 p.m. - 2:15 p.m.
Talcum Powder Multidistrict Litigation
• Including Status of Daubert Discovery
• How to File and Maintain a Case in the MDL
Leigh O'Dell, Beasley, Allen, Crow, Methvin, Portis & Miles, P.C., Montgomery, AL
2:15 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Case Specific Discovery and Trial Presentation
• Typical Plaintiff’s Presentation and Defendants’ Cross Examination of Plaintiff, Family and Treaters
Danielle Ward Mason, Beasley, Allen, Crow, Methvin, Portis & Miles, P.C., Montgomery, AL
3:00 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.
New Jersey State Court Update
• Including an Update on the Status of Kemp Appeals
Richard Golomb, Golomb & Honik, P.C., Philadelphia
3:15 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
3:30 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.
The Lingering Spectre of Asbestos in Talc – What Role Has Asbestos and Heavy Metals Played in Talc Trials to Date and How They May Factor into Future Ovarian Cancer Trials
Lee Cirsch, The Lanier Law Firm, Los Angeles
4:15 p.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Missouri and Illinois Update – Status of Appeals and Future Trials, Including a Discussion of the Fox, Ristesund, Giannecchini, Daniels, Slemp and Blaes Appeals, and How BMS has Impacted the Litigation in Missouri and Illinois
• What It Takes to File and Maintain a Case in St. Louis City
W. Wylie Blair, OnderLaw, LLC, St. Louis
4:45 p.m. - 4:55 p.m.
Delaware State Court Update
Hunter J. Shkolnik, Napoli Shkolnik PLLC, New York
4:55 p.m. - 5:05 p.m.
Mississippi Attorney General Action
Tim W. Porter, Porter & Malouf, P.A., Ridgeland, MS
Patrick Malouf, Porter & Malouf, P.A., Ridgeland, MS
5:05 p.m. - 5:15 p.m.
Louisiana State Court Update
Lindsey A. Cheek, The Cheek Law Firm LLC, New Orleans