HarrisMartin’s Construction Product Litigation Conference AgendaPrint Agenda
Day 1, Friday, October 25, 2013
7:30 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.
Continental Breakfast and Registration
8:30 a.m. - 8:45 a.m.
Welcome by Co-Chairs
Carol C. Lumpkin, K&L Gates, Miami
Daniel K. Bryson, Whitfield Bryson & Mason LLP, Raleigh, NC
8:45 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
Overview of Past, Pending, and Denied Construction-Related MDLs
Michael Goetz, Morgan & Morgan, Tampa, FL
Curtis J. Shipley, Ellis & Winters, LLP, Greensboro, NC
9:30 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
Discussion of Latest Cases Pertaining to Insurance Coverage for Allegations of Defective Products and Construction
• What's Covered and What’s Not
Michael W. Duffy, Childress Duffy, Chicago
David Wise, Wise & Donahue PLC, Fairfax, VA
R. Hugh Lumpkin, Ver Ploeg & Lumpkin, P.A., Miami
Andrew Grigsby, Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, Coral Gables, FL
10:15 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
10:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Overview of Current Construction-Related Issues Impacting MDLs
• Economic Loss Rule - Do State Variations Matter?
• Express Warranties - Do Express Warranties Versions Matter?
• Arbitration Clauses - Is Arbitration a Better Mechanism to Handle These Cases?
Justin Lucey, Justin O'Toole Lucey, P.A., Mt. Pleasant, SC
Patrick J. Perrone, K&L Gates, LLP, Newark, NJ
12:00 p.m. - 1:15 p.m.
Sponsored by Epiq Systems Inc.
1:15 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Discussion of Current Alleged Construction Defect Cases
• Various Products and the Alleged Defect:
- Chinese drywall
• Product Defect or Failure to Properly Install or Follow Installation Instructions?
• Warranty Program Anticipates Some Failures - Role of Failure Rate Analysis
Jordan Chaikin, Parker | Waichman LLP, Bonita Springs, FL
Gary E. Mason, Whitfield Bryson & Mason LLP, Washington, DC
Steven W. Ouzts, Turner Padget Graham & Laney, P.A., Columbia, SC
2:00 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.
Discovery Issues in Construction Defect-Related Litigation
• Issues Relating to ESI
• Privilege Documents
• Testing by Experts
• Preservation of Product
Patrick S. Montoya, Colson Hicks Eidson, Coral Gables, FL
Lynda E. Liebhauser, Bonner Kiernan Trebach & Crociata, LLP, New York
Becky L. Caruso, Bonner Kiernan Trebach & Crociata, LLP, Parsippany, NJ
3:15 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
3:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Legal Considerations Particular to Construction-Related MDLs
• Class Action vs. Mass Tort - Does it Matter?
• Commonality of the Alleged Defect – Rule 23(c)(4)
• How Many Cases in Different States are Sufficient to Have an MDL?
• Involvement of Other Potentially Responsible Defendants
Ervin A. Gonzalez, Colson Hicks Eidson, Coral Gables, FL
Jonathan Shub, Seeger Weiss, New York
John P. Mandler, Faegre Baker Daniels LLP, Minneapolis
4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Ethics Issues Arising in Construction-Related MDLs
• Plaintiff Group Collaboration
• Contact of Putative Class Members
• Negotiating Attorney Fees - What Are the Rules and When is it Appropriate to Discuss?
Joel R. Rhine, Rhine Martin Law Firm P.C., Wilmington, NC
James M. Reiland, K&L Gates LLP, Chicago
5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Networking Cocktail Reception
Sponsored by K&L Gates